I couldn't print to a Dell M5200 printer and found that I was getting a socket error. I was able to telnet to the printer, so it wasn't my network connection... It turns out it was a permissions problem. This bug thread for Ubuntu seems to have more.
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Thursday, June 10, 2010
I wanted to add a simple screensaver that had a floating SVG of the Condor project's logo. You can download the SVG file here.
- sudo cp condor_logo.svg /usr/share/pixmaps
- cd /usr/share/applications/screensavers
- sudo cp footlogo-floaters.desktop condor-floaters.desktop
sudo vim condor-floaters.desktop
[Desktop Entry] Name=Floating Condor Logos Comment=Bubbles the Condor logo around the screen Exec=/usr/lib/gnome-screensaver/gnome-screensaver/floaters /usr/share/pixmaps/condor_logo.svg TryExec=/usr/lib/gnome-screensaver/gnome-screensaver/floaters StartupNotify=false Terminal=false Type=Application Categories=GNOME;Screensaver; OnlyShowIn=GNOME;
- sudo /usr/share/gnome-menus/update-gnome-menus-cache /usr/share/applications > /tmp/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache
- diff /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache /tmp/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache
- Make sure the diff looks like what you expect
- sudo cp /tmp/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_US.utf8.cache